Skip to main content

Back to the Doctor's

Between Friday and Tuesday I got used to having a catheter. I didn't travel from home during that time. I was happy wandering around the house in my shorts with my bag taped to my leg.

I had a night bag that looked like it could hold a couple super-sized big gulps. That hung off the side of the bed and meant I had no late night trips to the bathroom. The smaller day bag was attached to my leg and needed to be emptied every 3 or 4 hours. A few days of changing and emptying bags and you settle right in to the routine. I stopped being squeamish about having a rubber hose coming out of the end of my penis and went to great lengths to keep everything clean to prevent infection. They gave me oxycodone for pain but the only real discomfort I had were frequent bladder spasms and occasional cramping. Really quite manageable. I'm still on pretty heavy antibiotics to reduce possible infections related to the catheter so I tapered off the pain meds. One or two at night and one or two during the day. I found early evening the most uncomfortable time but like I said, it was manageable.

Tuesday we returned to the Doctor's office to have the catheter and surgical staples removed and have a meeting to go over the pathology report as well as what to expect as I entered the next phase of recovery. By now I was quite good at dealing with the catheter and was almost a little sad to bid it farewell. I wouldn't miss the bladder spasms, but the bag itself wasn't much trouble at all.

The hardware removal was handled by the office nurse and the meeting was with my Doctor's surgical assistant. The doctor's assistant, who actually helps the surgeon during the operation, was a tall, blond woman with a soft voice who, when she arrived at my hospital bed to tell me I was cancer free, might have had wings. The nurse was more Earthly. She showed me her abdominal scar from the DaVinci robotic surgery she had a month earlier to remove a cyst. This is a completely unfair generalization of two very talented professionals. Nevertheless, I have to say, I loved them both. They were funny and kind and the kind of people you want to be your friends. That's important when those same people are going to tell you whether or not you need follow-up radiation therapy or are about to yank a rubber tube out of your penis.

I didn't feel a thing when the nurse removed the staples. When it came time to remove the catheter she disconnected the bag, cavalierly throwing it away before I even had a chance to say goodbye and incidentally, throwing away 500 cc's of perfectly good urine that they could have hung on to and sampled. They certainly seemed to need it a week ago. She told me to take a quick breath in and exhale quickly. I did so and she pulled the tube out.

I had heard varying reports on what it felt like to remove a catheter. Some said it really hurt. Others said they felt nothing. I think I landed somewhere in the middle. There was certainly a mild bit of stinging as it came out. I can't say it was the exact same feeling as pulling the drain out. Whatever I felt was overrun by whatever my unconcious was working through. It didn't like it. I was tensed as straight as a board on the examination table furiously tapping the right side with my knuckle. Carolyn was laughing. The nurse asked if I was trying to communicate with her. I explained that, no, I was fine. I just needed a moment for my brain to process that experience and file it away in the "Let's never do that again" drawer of my mind.

I finally relaxed. Carolyn tossed me a Depends and I got dressed again. We talked to the nurse for awhile and she took off to let the Doctor's assistant talk to us. She reviewed the pathology reports for Carolyn. She did her bladder control speech, her erectile disfunction speech, let us ask any questions we had and we talked a bit about general recovery timeframes. I'll go into the first two speeches a bit later. Right now, it was time for me to hike up my diaper and head out into the big world!


Pam said…
Thank you for your portrayal of nurses.

Popular posts from this blog

Hawaii Part I

This is a year of great portent for Carolyn and me. All kinds of things lined up. It's our 30th anniversary! Actually, it's the 30th anniversary of our first date which turned into a sleepover which turned into nightly sleepovers which turned into moving in together which turned into buying a house together which turned into buying another house together and breaking out in cats, which is pretty much where we are now. Exactly in the middle of those 30 years we got married. It was sometime in July, we have it written down somewhere. That's not to say we take the marriage lightly. It means a great deal to us, though for some reason, we aren't getting the spouse's discount on rental cars that I thought came with the package. Anyway, 15 years of being bound in matrimony this year too. It's also Carolyn's 65th birthday, which is maybe the biggest deal. Oh, and there's a solar eclipse in August. If you're big on numerology and signs from the Heavens, this…

After this Winter - Some thoughts on losing my way

Last weekend I dug my bibs out of the closet, suited up and did the Mudslinger mountain bike race again. Some confusion after the race got me thinking about paths, wayfinding, and getting lost. It also got me thinking about politics.

This was the 30th annual Mudslinger which means we share an anniversary! A couple actually. Carolyn and I have been together 30 years and I started racing mountain bikes 30 years ago. My race prep this year consisted mainly of gassing up the car the day before driving down to the race. I think I've ridden outside four times since Christmas. Still, I wasn't going to miss this one. I did the second Mudslinger in 1988 and quite a few after that until I stopped racing in 1996. I've done it at least six more times since I started racing again in 2008.

I finished pretty far back in the field but ahead of a few dozen racers. I wasn't the only one having trouble getting the base miles in. More importantly, I had fun. It was a beautiful sunn…

Some thoughts on the road's end

I didn't get many Christmas cards out this year. Didn't do a letter either. I'm sorry about that. Here's what happened.

Less than a week before Christmas, my in-laws reached a crisis point that signaled the end of their independent lives and the beginning of ongoing nursing care. I want to recount the journey to that crisis point. I apologize for the length of this. I need to get it out of my head. I need to document this because my in-laws are wonderful people who have reached the end of their independent lives and I want you to know what it was like.

The crisis had been building for some time. We knew something was going to happen to push this forward. Indeed, Merle and Catherine are where we wanted them to be but their journey there was so abrupt and terrible sounding, it actually made people laugh when I recounted it. We tried to get ahead of what was coming but the desire to let Merle and Catherine continue to live at home combined with their determination to stay…