Skip to main content

The Bone Scan

The doctor scheduled a meeting with Carolyn and I the following Wednesday the 13th of May. He really didn't want to say much until he'd looked at the results of my bone scan and could talk with us in person. The whole "don't research online" thing was odd and I pretty much ignored the advice. I think it had to do with an over abundance of content dealing with possible side effects of treatment. I'll come back to that later.

Friday I went in for the bone scan, a radionuclide bone scan, is the proper name . I arrived at the hospital around 8:30 and sat around for a bit waiting to get sent in. It was here I learned one of the first challenges of rural medical care. In a town the size of McMinnville, you can't sit in a hospital waiting room for very long without bumping into someone you know. In my case it was Dave Gilbert, a retired Mass Comm professor. And when you bump into someone in radiology, they pretty quickly figure out something's wrong. So now Dave knows I'm sick. Oh well.

I finally get in and the technician gives me a shot of radioactive dye. It's pretty weak. I wasn't setting off smoke detectors or anything. I'm then instructed to go back to work and drink ten glasses of water over the next three hours, the purpose being to flush my bladder completely of any of the precipitated isotope. They just want to see where it settles in my bones and I gather if I didn't do this, my bladder would look like an exploding sun in my abdomen and they couldn't see anything. The morning proceeded as per instructions. Get a glass of water, go touch up an image. Get another glass of water, fix a page. Get another glass of water, make a call. And on it went. The poor workstudy student outside my office was trying hard to ignore how many times I was going to the sink for water or leaving the room for the bathroom. By noon my world was pretty much reduced to "drink water" - "go to bathroom". By 1:30 it was off to the hospital and two more trips to their bathrooms and I was ready for the scan. I didn't have to undress though they actually strapped my legs together so I couldn't move. You lay on a table and this large machine passes slowly down your body creating a digital image showing sites where rapidly dividing cells are located in your bones. Took about 25 minutes. The technician was a pleasant man who went on at some length about the virtures of mixed martial arts and ATVs. I think he was trying to keep me calm. I can see where claustrophobic people would hate this. I'm not, and the dark room and clasical music was quite pleasant. I actually despise ATVs and have no interest in mixed martial arts, but really wasn't up for a debate.

Once the procedure was done, I headed out for lunch and three more trips to the bathroom.


Popular posts from this blog

Hawaii Part I

This is a year of great portent for Carolyn and me. All kinds of things lined up. It's our 30th anniversary! Actually, it's the 30th anniversary of our first date which turned into a sleepover which turned into nightly sleepovers which turned into moving in together which turned into buying a house together which turned into buying another house together and breaking out in cats, which is pretty much where we are now. Exactly in the middle of those 30 years we got married. It was sometime in July, we have it written down somewhere. That's not to say we take the marriage lightly. It means a great deal to us, though for some reason, we aren't getting the spouse's discount on rental cars that I thought came with the package. Anyway, 15 years of being bound in matrimony this year too. It's also Carolyn's 65th birthday, which is maybe the biggest deal. Oh, and there's a solar eclipse in August. If you're big on numerology and signs from the Heavens, this…

After this Winter - Some thoughts on losing my way

Last weekend I dug my bibs out of the closet, suited up and did the Mudslinger mountain bike race again. Some confusion after the race got me thinking about paths, wayfinding, and getting lost. It also got me thinking about politics.

This was the 30th annual Mudslinger which means we share an anniversary! A couple actually. Carolyn and I have been together 30 years and I started racing mountain bikes 30 years ago. My race prep this year consisted mainly of gassing up the car the day before driving down to the race. I think I've ridden outside four times since Christmas. Still, I wasn't going to miss this one. I did the second Mudslinger in 1988 and quite a few after that until I stopped racing in 1996. I've done it at least six more times since I started racing again in 2008.

I finished pretty far back in the field but ahead of a few dozen racers. I wasn't the only one having trouble getting the base miles in. More importantly, I had fun. It was a beautiful sunn…

Some thoughts on the road's end

I didn't get many Christmas cards out this year. Didn't do a letter either. I'm sorry about that. Here's what happened.

Less than a week before Christmas, my in-laws reached a crisis point that signaled the end of their independent lives and the beginning of ongoing nursing care. I want to recount the journey to that crisis point. I apologize for the length of this. I need to get it out of my head. I need to document this because my in-laws are wonderful people who have reached the end of their independent lives and I want you to know what it was like.

The crisis had been building for some time. We knew something was going to happen to push this forward. Indeed, Merle and Catherine are where we wanted them to be but their journey there was so abrupt and terrible sounding, it actually made people laugh when I recounted it. We tried to get ahead of what was coming but the desire to let Merle and Catherine continue to live at home combined with their determination to stay…